New Horizon Homes, Builders, Inc
P.O. Box 406
Lemont, Il 60439
Builders and Land Development
Quik Impressions Group
1385 Jeffrey Drive
Addison, Il 60101
ALKAYE MEDIA GROUP
38 N. Cass
Westmont, Il 60559
7 Modern Day Ways To Leave A Lasting ImpressionMay 23, 2013
Dale Carnegie wrote a fantastic book back in 1936 that really spelled out How to Win Friends and Influence People, and in my view it was so successful and continues to be successful because it contains such a lot of common sense about treating others how we ourselves like to be treated.
Unfortunately, we sometimes forget our common sense due to work and other pressures, and times have changed a little too, so I have put together a quick list with a few examples of both "old" and modern day areas to focus on to leave a lasting impression and be remembered for the right reasons.
1. Pay someone a complimentIf there is a genuine reason to pay someone a compliment, make their day and tell them. The person wearing a great shirt or a nice perfume will always appreciate a positive compliment, and that compliment will stay with them all day. I wear the best shoes I can afford and they get noticed, very often making the topic of conversation.
2. Say thanks oftenShow your appreciation by saying thanks when someone holds the door open for you, or goes out of their way to do something. When did you last thank your partner for being awesome or your staff for doing a great job? Appreciation is one of the main drivers for someone staying committed in a relationship or job, don't forget to tell them.
3. Give generouslyIf you are not the type to get stuck in when manual labor is needed, how else can you give generously? A fellow Rotarian who didn’t have the time for the physical work, gave his expertise generously instead, allowing the club and other charities to benefit from his experience and knowledge.
4. Do what you say you willDon’t let others think badly of you by not doing what you said you will, even the smallest of things, someone may well be relying on you.
5. SmileI am a big believer in this. The chap that held the door open for me with a beaming smile made me feel like a princess. How can you pass on such great feelings to others to make their day?
6. Use their nameWhat was the name of the barista that made your coffee this morning? Next time you order, thank them as usual and follow up with their name, it will be noticed. Using their name really is Dale 101, “the single sweetest sound in any language is a person’s name”.
7. Follow upThe drain layer that came to give me a quote didn’t follow up until 2 months after he visited. Needless to say, someone else did the job and he lost out. Do you follow up 100% of the time in a timely manner before your competitor gets in? You will stand out just by following up every time because so few people do it.
For comments: What else would you add to this list, old or new? How do you leave a lasting impression on others?
Linda Coles is the author of “Learn marketing with social media in 7 days” (Wiley) and is an author, speaker and trainer on building relationships. She lives in New Zealand on a fig orchard. You can get a complimentary sample of a chapter of her book by registering for her newsletter.
Check out some newly launched websites from LislDesign, Inc.!
Remember, there's no second chance to make a first impression.
To subscribe and receive Platinum's blog posts, enter your email: